The idea of establishing a higher school for dentistry was present since the establishment of the Bulgarian Dental Association (BDA).
In 1921, at a meeting with the Minister of Education, attended by representatives of the Bulgarian Dental Association and the Faculty of Medicine, the following decision was reached:
This decision came to fruition only in 1942, when Tsar Boris III issued Decree No. 32, which amended the National Education Act and three new departments were established at the Faculty of Medicine - Conservative Dentistry, Operative Dentistry with Orthodontics and Dental Technology. This is how the Department of Dentistry was founded, its first chair being Prof. Dr. Slavcho Davidov. In 1950, by Decree No. 542 of the National Assembly, the Dental Department at the Medical Academy - Sofia was named Department of Dentistry. One year later - in 1951, the Department of Dentistry grew into an independent Faculty of Dentistry.
Since 2007, following the European Directives and the Bulgarian legislation, the name of the Faculty has been changed to "Faculty of Dental Medicine".
The Faculty of Dental Medicine is a state, autonomous and accredited institution of higher education with distinct mission and goals, devoted to trai…
About the Faculty
Тhe Faculty of Dental Medicine is called upon to preserve and develop academic and professional autonomy, to encourage the development of professio…
The main goal of the faculty is to create professionals - Doctors of Dental Medicine, Masters, specialists, and P.h.D students, who are able to succe…