HISTORY of the department "ORTHODONTICS"
In 1991, by Decree № 197/07.10.1991 was established the Department of Orthodontics in the Faculties of Dental Medicine – Sofia and Plovdiv.
Development of the Orthodontics specialty
- 1938 г. – First publication in a journal “Zabolekarski Pregled” (Dental Review) - Dr. Zhecho Koev.
- 1942 г. – An Orthodontic section was established at the Department of Surgery of the newly opened Dental Division at the Medical Faculty, Sofia University, directed by Professor Slavcho Davidov. Later Orthodontics developed as an independent discipline, requiring an exam.
- 1952 г. – Orthodontics is a division of the Department of Orthopedic Dentistry.
- 1991 г. – Autonomous Department.
- 1992 г. – А section in Orthodontics was established at the BNDS (Bulgarian National Democratic Union) with Senior Research fellow, 2nd degree Dr. V. Mutafchiev as chairman.
- 1997 г. – The Section develops into Bulgarian Orthodontic Society, which unites the orthodontists in Bulgaria. The previously mentioned is a co-founder and member of the European Orthodontic Society and the World Federation of Orthodontists. Most of the members of the Bulgarian Orthodontic Society are individual members of the Balkan Association of Orthodontic Specialists, European Orthodontic Society, World Federation of Orthodontists. Each year, a one-day conference is held on with renowned keynote speakers from around the world.
Founders and Heads of the Department
- from 1991 to 1992 – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Liliana Decova
- from 1992 to 2008 – Prof. Dr. Valentin Mutafchiev, DDS, MSD, PhD
- from 2008 to 2013 – Prof. Dr. Vera Krumova, DDS, MSD, PhD
- from 2013 to 2021 – Prof. Dr. Laura Andreeva, DDS, MSD, PhD, DSc
- from 2021 to this day – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Vladimir Petrunov, PhD
Former Heads of Department
Prof. Dr. Valentin Mutafchiev – Head of the Department in the period 1992 - 2008
Education and Career:
- 1968 - completed a degree in Dentistry at the Faculty of Stomatology, Sofia
- 1973 - Specialist in Orthopedic Dentistry with Orthodontics
- 1982 - Doctoral degree on the topic “A study on the diastema of permanent incisors - etiology and variations in mixed dentition”
- September 1979 - March 1980 – Specialization at the Institute of Dentistry, Salpetriera, Paris, France
- June 1994 – Faculty of Dentistry, Geneva; Specialization - Prof. J. P. Yoho
- from 2004 until now - Manager at VALOR Orthodontic Clinic;
- 2001-2003 – Vice-President of the European Federation of Orthodontics;
- 1999 - Professor at the Faculty of Stomatology, Sofia;
- 1999-2003 – Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Stomatology, Sofia;
- 1992-2008 – Head of the Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Sofia;
- 1992-2008 – Chairman of the Bulgarian Orthodontic Society;
- 1990-1994 – Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Stomatology, Sofia;
- 1989-1999 – Associate Professor at the School of Stomatology, Department of Orthodontics;
- 1971-1989 – Assistant at the School of Stomatology, Department of Orthopedic Dentistry with Orthodontics;
- March 1971 - December 1971 – Orthodontist at the Regional Dental Clinic, Gabrovo;
- 1968-1971 – Dentist at the Health Services, Plachkovtsi, Bulgaria.
Prof. Dr. Vera Borisova Krumova – Head of the Department in the period 2008 - 2013
Education and Career:
- 2011-2013 – Vice Dean of Clinical Affairs;
- 2010-2011 – Vice Dean of Academic Affairs;
- 2008-2013 – Head of the Department of Orthodontics;
- 2005 - Specialty in General Dentistry;
- 2004-2007 – Vice Dean of Academic Affairs and Associate Professor in the Department of Orthodontics;
- 1996-1997 – Vice Dean of Clinical Affairs;
- 1994-1996 – Vice Dean of Research;
- 1979 – Specialty Orthopedic Dentistry with Orthodontics;
- 1972 – completed a degree in Dentistry at the Faculty of Stomatology, Sofia.