„Periodontology“ is taught in the following semesters: VII, VIII, IX and X.
Forms and methods of training used in the course: Lectures, seminars, discussions, case studies, tests.
ABSTRACT OF COURSE:
The course in Periodontology provides an opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills needed to complete diagnosis, prevention, treatment and control of periodontal diseases.
OBJECTIVES OF CURRICULUM:
To achieve high competencies of graduating dentist at the Faculty of Dental Medicine - Sofia:
- To be competent in the assessment of periodontal status, establishing a diagnosis and prognosis and individual treatment planning;
- To be competent in the training of patients in relation to the etiology of periodontal disease and to assist them to take responsibility for their own health;
- To be competent in giving instructions to patients about the appropriate methods for maintaining oral hygiene, which are compatible with periodontal health;
- To be able to remove over and subgingival tartar to root surface stuffed with both machine and with hand instruments, to remove stains and conduct maintenance;
- To have knowledge of risk factors for periodontal diseases;
- To be competent in the diagnosis, explaining and discussing the need for specialized periodontal surgery and to select appropriate methods for directing patients to specialized care;
- To be competent in assessing the results of periodontal treatment, to establish controls to maintain the results and discussion of risk factors.
TASKS OF THE PROGRAM:
- To carry out training of students in the etiology and pathogenesis of periodontal diseases;
- To carry out training of students in the clinical characteristics of major diseases of the periodontium in contemporary classification of periodontal diseases and conditions (1999);
- To ensure the preparation of students for the diagnosis of major periodontal diseases and their NON SURGICAL treatment, and evaluate the results of conventional periodontal therapy;
- To inform students about the principles of surgical periodontal therapy approaches of modern resective and regenerative periodontal techniques.
AIDS FOR TEACHING:
multimedia presentation of lectures, diagrams, case studies for interpretation, educational films.
To start training "Periodontology" is necessary for students to have basic knowledge of anatomy, biology, physiology, pathology and pathophysiology, microbiology, pharmacology.
After completion of the course students should:
- Have ability to diagnose basic periodontal diseases;
- To apply methods of prevention and non-surgical periodontal therapy;
- To interpret data from the clinical and radiographic study in the initial diagnosis and re-evaluation;
FORMS OF ASSESSMENT:
Current Measurement, seminars, practical test after the pre-VII and VIII semesters practical test after pre IX and X semesters, theoretical exam at the end of the tenth semester, State exam.
Formation of student evaluation:
- Assessment of theoretical knowledge to the students during education;
- Assessment of practical skills of students during education;
- Test result during the semester exams;
- Test result during state exams.
Aspects of formation evaluation:
- Participation in discussions within the workshops;
- Case studies in practical exercises;
- Practical examinations at the end of preclinical and clinical courses;
- Written exam;
- Oral semester examination;
- State Exam.